Festive Mood

The moment the alarm rang at 6.50 am, I dragged myself out of bed like a lifeless ragged doll while Mad Cat snoozed away on the other side of the bed. The long week break has just swiftly swept by through my life. It was too fast, too soon and too quick to have come to an end.

This Chinese New Year was the beginning of my journey marking the reality in life that I no longer a single reckless young girl but a woman married to not just the man she loves but his family as well. We left home to the north leaving behind my very own home in the rear mirror, for the very first time in my life to spend Chinese New Year away. Without my parents. A tinch of sadness flooded my heart when I laid my head to rest during the long journey in the splitting hot sun in the tropical heat.

But I can't deny the love demonstated in this wonderful family that had welcomed me into their lives 2 months ago. 3 sons, was all they have but 3 daughters-in-law is what they gained. Mad Cat's other 2 siblings took leave much earlier to return home to help their parents for the festival. The moment Mad Cat and I reached his parent's house, I was left in the care of his other two sisters-in-law while he went to help out his parents. I was told this is a normal practise in the family every year. The sons would help out in any way they can. I can't help but to feel proud of Mad Cat :)

Having a Chinese reunion dinner in a small town was an eye opener for a city girl like me. I have never expected such colourful event to be taking place in a place as such. Well, to start off, the dinner was like a Chinese wedding dinner where food was served without giving you an opportunity to choose your menu. That's right! What is served on the table, you eat it. At the end of the dinner, everyone will get to enjoy the colourful display of fireworks breaking the still dark night just outside the restaurant, compliments by the restaurant owner. I have never seen anyone celebrating Chinese New Year in such manner. So guess who has been living in the 'kampung'.

Apart from the heat and blazing sun, the New Year was fun and exciting for someone who was away from home for the first time. Mad Cat and I together with his siblings and sisters-in-law played 'Taboo'. An american game guessing the answers with the clues given by one of the players. What started off to pass time in the hot afternoon soon turned into a battle between the sexes. The stake, no computer games for the guys if they lost in the game. (Mad Cat and his brothers have been spending way too much time with the computers which they have linked it up playing 'Counter Strike' oblivious of what is happening around them, making occassional appearances during meal time or when they are tired. But I am sure Mad Cat is not in agreement with me on this. Hehehe)

Sadly, the male species won. Not because they are smarter but they used too much 'male' terms to give out clues. But I did eventually learned to play 'Counter Strike' and 'Emperor' and it got me hook like a fish to the bait. As the saying goes, 'if you can't beat them, join them'. But it was nice to be able to share the passion with Mad Cat. I hope he remembered that I too played computer games during my single years and have trashed my opponents in 'StarCraft'. I just hope I still have the magical touch.

Besides sweating like a steam-chicken-in-a-cooker during this hot season, I have to say that I had a wonderful Chinese New Year with my new family.

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tagged #2

Heaven Above

A Sick Baby Updates