Oh My Poor Baby!


I considered myself a light sleeper. Any movement or sound will wake me up from slumber land. Since Sara was born, I will wake up a few times in the night just to check on her to make sure that her feet is not cold or that she has not rolled to a corner of the mattress but mostly to make sure that she is still breathing!

Last Sunday, we were at my mom’s place after church and I decided to put Sara for a nap on my mom’s bed while I lied down beside her acting as a barricade (the other 3 sides of the bed were barricaded by 2 corners of the wall and the bed headboard). I was feeling so tired for the past week due to workload that I dozed off within minutes.


The next thing I knew, I heard a boom! That sent me sitting straight right up and for a split second I realized that Sara was not beside me. Instantly, I looked over the bed and saw her lying on her back, on the floor. I thought “Oh no! She fell off the bed!” She was in shock for a moment and cried. I quickly picked her up. As soon as I had her in my arms, she stopped crying. She was back to her usual self within minutes.

I felt horrible. She actually climbed over me without me waking up at all. I was overwhelmed with guilt to realize that I could have fallen into such a deep sleep. But when you tried seeking understanding from certain people and having them saying things such as “You ah, always sleep like a log!” (contrary to that, to both Irene and I, I have always been a light sleeper), or "Aiyo, why you so tired ah?" or "You worst than me la, let your baby fall off!" does not help very much.

That night while I was watching her sleep, I burst into tears of thankfulness that God has protected her and tears of guilt that I have not watched her carefully. I wasn’t able to forget her look while lying on the floor after the fall. I have always made sure that she is in a safe surrounding yet she fell while in MY care.

I know kids will have bump and bruises as part of their growing up years. But to actually witness your own child fall, is heartbreaking.

Comments

Sunflower said…
Aiyo so scary man. Glad she wasn't hurt. Don't blame yourself, I'm sure you needed the rest too. I see that Sara is getting very good at "exploring", to the extent of climbing over Mummy!
Moomykin said…
I know what you mean about heart breaking. Both my boys have had so many falls, and quite a few from the bed too. It's ok. God has given us a good internal helmet - the skull. It's good. :)
Mommy-yeoh said…
ireneq: We have become obstacles for her to do some exercises!

Moomykin: When I saw her on the floor, altho I was in shock, deep down I had the assurance that God was with her. I think I have to expect more of bumps & bruises from her

Popular posts from this blog

Tagged #2

Heaven Above

A Sick Baby Updates