Baby Girl


I had a detailed scan of Baby on its twentieth week. It was a 4D scan where it was done at the government side instead of the private side. I chose a semi private hospital for the following reasons:-

1) its cheaper than private hospitals;
2) I get a single room at an affordable price;
3) I get the same services as I would have gotten in a private hospital;
4) Its near my house which I am currently staying; and
5) There are better equipments in a semi private hospital (especially at the government side).


The 4D machine was bought very recently by the hospital and the scanning was done by a professional radiologist.

Mad Cat and I took a whole day leave to have the ultrasound done in the morning and later in the afternoon to have another check up with my gynecologist. I packed a book while Mad Cat brought along his lap top in anticipation of a long wait for the scanning to be done in a government hospital (things can be really really slow when dealing with public sector).

We were at the hospital around 9.00 a.m and were told that we might need to wait for about 45 minutes. Okay, 45 minutes is not that long. Simply because I am a patient from the private side, so I will need not line up with the rest of the government patients as we will be using different machines.

Mad Cat and I waited outside the scanning room reading page after page of the newspaper. After a 2 hours wait and 4 visits to the ladies, my name was called by a nurse. We were brought into a room separated by 3 partitions. In each partition there was a 2D ultrasound machine (the one which my gynecologist uses each time to scan Baby) and there was a bed beside it. The normal ultrasounds for other patients are done in those partitions.

At the end of the room, there was a heavily tinted sliding door. Inside the room, it was dimly lit from the lights and images on the LCD screen hung above and at the end of the bed which was in the middle of the room. Beside the bed was the scanning machine much bigger than the one I have seen before. There were 2 ladies greeted Mad Cat and I. I was told to lie down on the bed and the curtains were drawn around us. The strange thing is that the nurse who led us into the room could not seem to get my name right. She kept calling me Jennifer. I said “No, my name is Doreen”. And she replies me “Yalah (Yes-la), Jennifer”. Its either she is hard on hearing or she thinks that Doreen and Jennifer is the same.

Then came in a Malay lady (Mrs B), around her forties, I think, greeted us warmly. She is a senior in the radiologist and a grandma herself too. And she spoke fluent English. I lied down on the bed as I looked straight ahead, I saw the LCD screen facing me directly. Its like watching a home video movie while lying in your bed. Mrs B asked for my name and typed it on the computer. But instead of my name appearing on the screen, Doreen Chia appeared with a 4D image of a baby. Well, after a couple of minutes of telling them that is not my name, the mistake was corrected and we began our journey.

On the LCD screen, we can see the little life in me. The features, the bones, the body, the little fingers and toes. Each time Mrs B move the scanner on my belly, she will tell us this is what and what. Of course they are names of body parts which I do not know how to pronounce. But, so long as Mad Cat and I recognize that those are fingers and toes, we are happy enough. The scan was so clear that Mrs B measured the brain and counted the valve in the heart. She did an electronic colored scan to make sure that the valve is working and the blood is flowing into all the valves. It’s amazing. She can even tell from the scan if the baby is autistic or not by all the measurement of the organs.

What amazes us is to see our little baby on the screen moving like a newborn baby. We can see Baby’s pout lips as if kissing the placenta. God is so amazing. Creating a life within a life, it’s a miracle. We thank God that He has been blessing Baby and taking care of Baby during Baby’s development in my womb. And oh, Mrs B said Baby has no ‘gun’. So Baby is a GIRL!!!! It took Mad Cat and I to a whole new level. The reality of being parents are becoming more real :)

Thanks be to God for His blessings and promises to us as a family. And cheers to Baby for being such a good girl. Yay!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tagged #2

Heaven Above

A Sick Baby Updates