A Sick Baby Part II


After her first visit to the pead last Monday, Sara has been feeling not well again since Friday. And throughout the weekend, she was having mild fever off and on. I took half day on Monday to take her to the pead for the second time. This time round, she has a bit of redness in her throat. She is also having cough with phlegm and flu.

She has no more fever since Sunday so it was a good sign. But the Baby was extremely sticky to me. On Tuesday I took the whole day off so that I can spend some time nursing her. Knowing that I am home with her, she was exceptionally whiny. She won’t want to be left alone and worst, she only wants Mummy to carry her the whole time. I have to put her on the kitchen counter top while I poured myself a drink. I have to put her on the bed while I get dressed. I have to carry her while I heat up her food. I have to put her in the sling strapped to me while I hang the clothes…it was endless. She was practically ‘glued’ to me.

There will be times that she will whine and cry non stop even when I carry her. If I put her down she will cry louder and more tears. I then have to pick her up again which helped a little. I was getting edgy and frustrated cause I can’t read her mind. Sara was equally frustrated with me cause she can’t tell me what she wants. Finally when I could stand it no more, I put her down on the mattress and scolded her. Of course that did not help. It made her cried even more. She then reached out her hands came to me and hugged me wrapping her hands around my neck. At that point I felt really lousy for scolding a sick baby. When I picked her up, she rested her head on my shoulders and fell asleep while sobbing.

What made me more upset was that she refused to eat. No matter what I give her (except milk) she will spit it out after the 3rd spoon. Not her favorite porridge or noodle can give her an appetite. That worries me even more. She has not been eating since Saturday. By evening, her incessant whining tired me out, so I took her out to play in the porch and blow bubbles with her. I also tied long colorful ribbons on her xylophone stick to let her twirl it around. At the end of the day I have one dirty, sweaty and whiny Baby.

I can only pray that God will help ease her uncomfortable ness and for a speedy recovery and prayerfully she will return to her normal self soon so that Mummy and Daddy won’t have to worry about her.


Grandma ‘complained’ that I should have gone to work instead of staying home. Sara is always well behave when Mummy is not around. True enough, yesterday, Sara ate a whole bowl of porridge in the afternoon and was playing on her own despite her cough and cold. But when Mummy was home after work, the cycle began…crying, sticky, whining, refusing to eat, whining and more whining.

Her cough and cold is getting better but sadly I can’t say the same for her wanting to be carried by Mummy all the time.

Mummy can only sigh for now.

Comments

Ann said…
I really wonder why they get all whiny and cry-y when we are around! My bbsitter also has commented that he will start crying when I come pick him up and don't carry him!

Hope Sara gets better soon. Some parents tell me to leave them crying but seems kinda hard to do that!

By the way, heard of e-excel? Considereing Sara is after 1, you may want to consider giving her that! It really helps to boost our immune system!
Mommy-yeoh said…
Ann: Ppl did tell me to leave kids crying but I thought it might not be such a good idea. It might make them feel rejected. It is also could be due to separation anxiety. I rather carry Sara and explain to her than leave her alone. The only time I will leave her crying is when she is disobedient.

Anyway there will be a time that she wont need me to carry her anymore.

I have heard of e-excel once but dont know much about it
Mumsgather said…
"At that point I felt really lousy for scolding a sick baby. When I picked her up, she rested her head on my shoulders and fell asleep while sobbing."

I can really relate to this. I hope your little one gets better soon.
Moomykin said…
These babies know they can get all the pampering from Mommy once they start crying. :)

Well, my MIL says the same too, that they misbehave more when I am around, but I sometimes think they get into more mischief when I am not (2 Tornadoes and a Tsunami).

Anyway, Max also has a relapse on his running nose and everyone just blames it on the weather. Nurse her as much as you can, that helps comfort her and I think it helps them to recover faster.

Until today, Max wants to be carried all the time. I try to indulge him, but there are just times it's impossible (don't use the sling for him anymore) and he will just have to yell and jump for a few seconds. Hahaha...
Moomykin said…
p/s- Nice new look on your web page. Green! Refreshing. My favourite color. :)
A gift from God said…
Hope your little one is well... I strongly disagree with leaving a young child to cry.. they will not only feel rejected..they will also feel extremely insecure... :)

I know how you felt when the baby cling on to you for dear life! It's abit annoying at times but look at it this way... that only shows she wants to be with mummy.... :) and no one can comfort her more than anyone in the world... you are needed! :)
Mommy-yeoh said…
mumsgather: Thanks. Sara is feeling much better though with the cold and cough but at least she is eating again.

moomykin: Sara has learned to stretch out her hands and cry. With her doing this to me, makes my heart melt and I have to just carry her. Sigh.

a gift from god: Yeah, I see it that way too that at least we are well bonded :) Feel kinda of proud coz only mummy can do the rescuing. ha ha

Popular posts from this blog

Tagged #2

Heaven Above

A Sick Baby Updates