Hands Off

I get a little paranoid when strangers reach out to touch Sara. I don’t mind friends and acquaintances touching her ( I mean touching as in her hands and cheeks or carrying her, you know what I mean) but strangers you meet in the lift, shopping mall? No way Jose!

We were in the lift yesterday on our way out for dinner, when the lift stopped at one of the floors and a stranger stepped in. A lady to be precise. She waved at Sara and said hi to her. Sara was standing in between Daddy-yeoh and me and as usual, the little one is always staring intently at strangers until she gets a respond from them. Somehow I mentally prepared myself that she might touch her. True enough, she reaches out to touch her on Sara’s left cheek. For a split moment I froze thinking of whether I should just let her touch her or pull Sara back. But Daddy-yeoh in a quick moment reached out and blocked the stranger’s hand from touching Sara’s cheek and abruptly said ‘Please don’t touch her”.

After that it was an awkward moment for us all in the lift. Yes I must admit we might seemed rude but I would not want to put Sara at risk of anything. I won’t know what the strangers have done or touched with their hands. And I felt it was rude for any strangers to touch any kids or especially babies without asking for permission from the parents. But why must anyone who doesn’t know you want to touch your baby no matter how cute you baby is? Haven’t they heard of the phase ‘see no touch’?

If my hands are dirty, I would not have touch any kids not even my friends’ kids unless I wash my hands first. If I am sick I would try to keep a distance whatmore touching them.

When Sara was just a few months old, there was a sales person who was sniffling and she was holding a tissue in her hands for wiping her nose. Before I realized it she touched Sara with her hands commenting how cute she was! I was horrified. I rushed Sara to the ladies and washed her cheek. There cashiers (not one, mind you), after handling all the money reached out and touch my baby! I was like…..aaaarrgggghhh. I have waiters, waitress, even cook touching her. Sigh!

There was once a stranger had walked up to my nephew, while he was having lunch at The Curve with my sis and my mom, commented how cute he is and *muah* planted a kiss on him. Yes you can imagine that my sister’s eyes almost popped out.

Well, back to my story, after the lift incident, we went for dinner nearby and Daddy-yeoh and I decided to drop by to check out the 100 Yen shop (The 5 Ringgit Shop). While Daddy-yeoh was paying for our purchases, the sales person came over and wanted to touch Sara. Since I was carrying her, my reflects was just to turn around and avoided her hands. Whew! I guess after the lift incident I was more on my guard.

Like I said before I don’t mind friends, acquaintances but strangers…

Comments

Ann said…
I think it is easier when the people are strangers....but what if your own relations do it as well....

Sigh....that group of people hard to offend....
Julie said…
Not to say strangers...I don't even let my husband kiss Jonathan after meals eventhough he washed his mouth.

I must say Woon Foong did the right thing.
Moomykin said…
Once at a duty free shop at Changi Airport, the sales person asked if he could pat Max on the head (he was then about 9 months old). I said, sure. I thought that was good of him to ask.

Me not so fussy about people touching my boys, but so far no stranger has kissed them, mostly shale hands. Maybe me not so bug-conscious most of the times. Oopsie.
Mommy-yeoh said…
Ann: I know what you mean.

Julie: If anyone of us are sick, kissing Sara is a no-no.

Moomykin: Atleast the sales person asked. I know I cant keep bugs away from Sara but atleast I can keep strangers away...he he

Popular posts from this blog

Tagged #2

Heaven Above

A Sick Baby Updates