Toys "NOT" Us

Daddy Yeoh went to Putrajaya for the fireworks competition last night after work…and I took the opportunity and arranged with my parents to have dinner out and then perhaps a little window shopping. Grandpa suggested Mid Valley because it is THE nearest shopping mall to our place, no jam, the only mall that you have the highest chance of finding a parking lot nearest to the mall entrance (tips: park in the Gardens) and most of all cheap parking rates.


We had our dinner at Little Penang and since Joash (my nephew) and Tai Yee (my sis) came along, we then adjourned to Toys ‘R’ Us, my nephew’s all time favorite stop. They were having some clearance sales. But even with the sales on, I find that toys are quite expensive these days and they are mostly made in Taiwan and China. My guess, we are paying for the BRAND.


While in the shop I came across a toy for little ones. It has a colorful net with 3 little butterflies with tails at the end attached to it and when you pull the tails, the butterflies will flutter in the water. It was nice but I won’t want to pay for something so pricey for it. I am in the habit of spending books and clothes for Sara rather than toys. So we walked out the shop without purchasing anything.


Tai Yee bought a miniature Transformer for Joash and as she was unwrapping the toy from its packaging, Sara saw the toy and instantaneously reached out her hands as if asking for it. I asked for my sis to give her the empty box just to keep her occupied. Hey! I may sound cruel but I just didn’t want Sara to have the habit of getting what she wants all the time especially whenever she sees a toy. She looked at the empty box then at the toy my nephew is holding. She then reached out her hands again. Tai Yee and Grandma went “Aww…poor thing”.


Of course I could not bear seeing her like that, so I made a quick turn around back into Toys ‘R’ Us and got her the toy. If Sara knew what all this means…she would probably laugh silently and call me ‘sucker’. Sorry Daddy Yeoh, you might see that purchase in next month’s bill.


We were hading back to the car park when Tai Yee decided to carry Sara. Usually if I am around, she would not want anyone else to carry her. She struggled and at the same time calling out for “Ma ma”. Since my sis was carrying Sara, I have to push Joash in his stroller down the escalator. Then Joash (half asleep) turned around and realized it was me pushing the stroller and not his mommy, started crying as well and said “No, I want Mummy!” My sis and I were telling each other on top of the kids’ crying that we cannot do any exchange of kids at that very crucial moment i.e. on the escalator. Hmmm…that would be very tricky. Can you imagine what a scene it was? All eyes were on us. Perhaps people were thinking that we have just kidnapped 2 kids. When we reached the car park, my sis and I was laughing our heads off, as we returned the kids to…ahem the rightful parents.

Comments

Moomykin said…
Oo.. glad there was no mishap on the escalator. tricky indeed.

Oh, I so know the not wanting to get a toy for the kids thing.
That's why I usually avoid taking them to the mall. I'd rather we hang out at the science center or at my mom's.

Hmm... must find a new place for some new excitement.
Mommy-yeoh said…
Moomykin: I don't ususally take Sara near any toys except once awhile. But you know how kids can get attracted to toys like a magnet. I prefer taking her outdoors like plyground or park. I like your idea of the Science Center and TTDI park
Ann said…
Hmmm....digressing Kin and your comment....so far my son doesn't like any of his toys.

He would go for the box or any other electrical gadget (or related) instead!!!
Mommy-yeoh said…
Ann: When Sara was Christopher's age, she doesnt like toys either except for whatever she can find in my drawers etc. When she turned one or so...she began to take notice of the toys...more like curiosity and before you know it...the magnet has activated :)

Popular posts from this blog

Tagged #2

Heaven Above

A Sick Baby Updates